One question we get a lot is: What is a TROBO?
We look at TROBO as an opportunity. It's an opportunity to provide parents with an alternative to the mindless toys and apps out there. It's an opportunity for parents to give their kids a headstart on learning. It's an opportunity for parents to feel better about what their kids are playing with.
But most importantly, it's an opportunity for kids. It's an opportunity for them to learn in a fun, non-violent way about all of the amazing things happening in the world around them. Kids are naturally curious about everything around them and - as parents - we found that the toys that were on the market did nothing to answer kids' questions. So that's why we created TROBO.
But how exactly does TROBO do all of this?
We're glad you asked.
TROBO is part companion, part teacher. It provides an alternative to the 2D experience that can be found in books and apps by providing a cuddly robot friend that your child can have, hold and hug. But the TROBO is more than just another stuffed animal; the toy has a removable, rechargeable chest module that allows the TROBO character to read the story out loud to your child. It also lets your child play games with their TROBO (more about that later!)
The toy is just one part of the experience. The other part is our story app (which runs on iPhones and iPads). We have assembled an amazing group of writers to help explain complicated science concepts through fun stories. But these aren't just boring science stories; they are exciting adventures. Our stories follow a traditional 3-act structure where your child will stumble upon a problem, learn about the science involved and then - together with TROBO - they will use that science to solve the problem and save the day! For example, in our story "What is Lightning?" our dog Biscuit is afraid of the thunder and lightning so we need to learn what causes lightning and how lightning rods can make Biscuit's house safe.
Inside the story are puzzles, games and questions to encourage repeat play and to reinforce the learning. But one of the most exciting parts of TROBO is that your child gets to be in the story. They can type in their name and build an avatar to go on the adventure with TROBO. The TROBO will refer to your child by name!
The stories are even available in Spanish. But the lightning story is just one of our first group of stories. With your TROBO, you also get the following stories:
What is Honey (Chemistry)?
What do Sharks Eat (Biology)?
How do I Count Money (Math)?
How do Cars Work (Engineering)?
But stories are just the beginning! TROBO also includes 3 games, including TROBO Hide and Seek and TROBO Hot Potato where your kids can use the TROBO toy to play together. The third game - MyPal TROBO - allows your child to push buttons on the iPad and make funny sounds and phrases come out of TROBO. Kids love it!
TROBO makes learning fun! But don't just take our word for it:
- We have done over 1,000 trials with kids and parents from all over the country.
- We received a grant from the National Science Foundation which helped us develop our stories.
- We have heard from parents who have just received their TROBOs that their kids were explaining to them how their car engine works! (This is really the most rewarding feedback we could ever get; there is nothing cuter than hearing a kid explain spark plugs and pistons!)
We believe that TROBO is the perfect holiday gift.
- If you are tired of your child sitting around and smashing cars together, TROBO is for you!
- If you are tired of your child's talking stuffed animal just saying the same 2 phrases over and over and over again, TROBO is for you! Imagine getting a new set of phrases or a new story next month, and breathing new life into TROBO. Your child will not only enjoy the new stories, but he/she will revisit the old stories too.
- If you want your child to learn more about all of the amazing science around them and how things work, TROBO is for you!
- If you just want to buy your child the latest cheap, dumb toy, TROBO is not for you.
- But if you want to seize the opportunity to inspire your child, pick up a TROBO today (and help us spread the word).
Help us make smarter toys (and smarter kids)!
Jeremy and Chris